[whatwg] Mathematics in HTML5

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 09:54:15 +0100
White Lynx wrote:
> Dan Brickley wrote:
>> It would also be both considerate and sensible
>> (if anyone does want to undertake such a task) to talk to the
>> MathML folks first.
> So far we are addressing problems that were invented and deployed by MathML folks.

But you are, apparently, assuming that the problems with MathML are a
result of ignorance on the part of the people working on the spec.
Perhaps there is a reason they invented a language that did not build on
the CSS layout primitives e.g. because those layout primitives are not
sutiable for mathematics (similar to the reason that XUL, though
"CSS-based" employs a large number of specific CSS extensions to work in
a sane way). You have demonstrated that CSS can provide the first 80%
(or whatever) of what's required for laying out maths - but there seems
to be no way forward to address the last 20%.