[whatwg] Simple numbers

From: Michel Fortin <michel.fortin@michelf.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2006 10:22:11 -0400
Le 6 juin 2006 ? 6:37, Keryx webb a ?crit :

> The first problem is easily remedied. Wrap in a span and apply CSS
> "white-space: nowrap" or (not quite as elegant) use non-breaking
> space.

Have you tried using unbreakable spaces instead?

     123&nbsp;456&nbsp;789,12

I'm curious to know if a screen reader can read that correctly.

  - - -

Maybe a number element would be valuable, both inside and outside
formulas, to provide format-neutral machine-readable numeric values:

     <n value="123456789.12">123 456 789,12</n>

But it surly seems a little overkill to write each numeric value
twice. Duplicating values seems prone to errors. So maybe a number
with a decimal separator attribute would be a better approach:

     <n dec=",">123 456 789,12</n>

Beside that, it could provide data on other kinds of numbers too:

     <n base="16">329F 2CA0</n>

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/