[whatwg] Parsing: Attributes in End Tags

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 11:06:31 +1100
Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>>
>> There should be an easy parse error upon encountering the first
>> non-whitespace character (except for '>') after the tag name...
>
> Good point.
>
> Since that would be somewhat hard to define neatly, I've instead just
> added a requirement at the end of the tokeniser to cover this.

| When an end tag token is emitted with attributes, that is an easy
| parse error.

Wouldn't it be easier to add that requirement either before the
attribute is created or when the end tag is omitted from the the
attribute name/value states?

Is it expected that when an end tag token is emitted, it will include
all the attributes as well?  I would have expected that the attributes
would be dropped during tokenisation, rather than just being ignored
during the tree construction phase.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/