[whatwg] Tag Soup: Blocks-in-inlines

My 2 cents.

It took me a long time to develop an algorithm that actually fixed
all 60 of the duplicate internal Apple bugs on this subject.  I'm
reluctant to revisit this problem in our code base, given that my
current algorithm was developed both to solve the problem and to be
extremely performant and internally consistent.  For example,
allowing blocks inside inlines minimizes the number of residual style
tags that you have to re-open, and deferring the reopening of such
tags until a misnested close tag is encountered ensures that well-
formed documents don't end up with a bloated DOM.  Blocks inside
inlines simply must be allowed.

Your DOM would grow unacceptably large on real-world pages if you try
to restrict blocks from being inside inlines and end up reopening the
inlines over and over again inside each block.  Not to mention that
even without the residual style problem, sites rely on being able to
nest blocks inside inlines (for example, an inline link that wraps
multiple paragraphs but expects them to be a single link and not
multiple links).

dave
(hyatt at apple.com)