[whatwg] Tag Soup: Blocks-in-inlines

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Billy Wong wrote:

> + span
>   + div
>     + #text: X
>   + #text: Y

This doesn't work, because it would put a line break between the X and the
Y. This breaks real-world sites and would not be acceptable.

> To correctly written webpages, this should pose no problems.  To
> incorrect webpages, they deserve it since the point they ask the UA to
> use "standard mode".

Unfortunately, whether they deserve it or not, browsers aren't going to
change their implementation of HTML parsing to something that makes them
less compatible with the Web.

Whatever we spec here has to be good enough that it works with the crap
that is out there, otherwise our work will be irrelevant.