[whatwg] <a href="" ping="">

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006, James Graham wrote:

> And boy does it suggest this feature will be a marketing problem :(
> Darin Fisher blogged the Mozilla implementation[1] and received a stream
> of comments, many from people who clearly haven't thought about how easy
> tracking already is, to the effect that they will never use a browser
> with this feature etc. It's hardly a representative sample of people
> (since the more alarmed users are more likely to comment) but I can
> easily imagine grossly unfair headlines like "Firefox 3 allows
> advertisers to track you across the web", ignoring the fact that any
> browser that implements HTTP redirects supports the same feature in a
> much less transparent way.

Actually, I was pleasantly surprised at the number of people who
understood that this would help rather than hurt. I was expecting much
more negative feedback.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> This would eventually lead to Mozilla and other browsers providing a
> user-configurable option to ignore ping="", which in turn would make the
> authors prefer the traditional (redirect-based) tracking because it's
> not circumventable.

JavaScript is circumventable yet these same authors use that today, so I
don't think that's necessarily the case.

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006, Tyler Close wrote:

> I think the "ping" attribute is a great feature and I also think it's
> great that the cited presentation of the feature provoked the reaction
> that it did. Having a user base that expresses demand for privacy and
> security is crucial to actually getting some privacy and security, which
> is something I sorely want.

Indeed!

> The problem here is the presentation. In reality, the "ping" attribute
> is a net plus for privacy and security, not a new threat. The feature
> needs to be presented as something that will be applauded by "privacy
> conscious folks", not something that will "raise some eye-brows".

Yeah. I've changed the note in the spec, hopefully that will help.