[whatwg] The <link> element and "display: meta"

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:08:27 +1100
Matthew Raymond wrote:
>    To be honest, even if I agreed with "display: meta" in principle, I
> would not want the "display" property used for this purpose. In fact,
> "position: meta" makes more sense.

No it doesn't.  Neither of them make any sense at all.  If I've
understood this thread well enough, the whole concept behind it means to
take this element out of the normal flow and do some magic to display it
somewhere appropriate in the chrome of the browser.  e.g. in a menu for
<link>, the title bar for <title>, the status bar (or wherever) for
something else.  Who knows what on earth would happen with this applied
to an HTML document?

   * { display: meta; }

CSS is the wrong layer to handle this.  AIUI, I believe the binding
layer (XBL) is the correct layer for it.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/