[whatwg] UA validation and the submit event

From: Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen <hallvord@hallvord.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:22:20 +0900
Kayak.com is in trouble because they've set a maxlength that is
smaller than some of the data the script sets input value to. (I'm
sending them some feedback about that). However, the site shows an
interesting problem: the UA (testing in Opera 9) does not submit the
form because of the validation problem, but the onsubmit event has
been called, meaning the site has disabled its submit button. Hence,
the user has no way to fix the data and resubmit (even if she
actually understands what the error is).

Should we really fire onsubmit if the UA prevents submitting the
form? Button-disabling-on-submit scripting isn't exactly rare..
--
Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
http://www.hallvord.com/