[whatwg] Menus, fallback, and backwards compatibility: ideas wanted

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 01:01:53 +0000 (UTC)
On Sun, 1 Jan 2006, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> > If we're trying to solve the "problem" of displaying the link
> > navigation twice (once in the page and once in the browser UI) then
> > I'm not convinced that's a problem, or that we should be solving it.
>
> It's a problem because it wastes valuable screen space and as long as it
> does waste valuable screen space there is not enough incentive for Web
> publishers to bother to offer something like LINK or nav {display:meta}.

I'm not convinced that authors feel that screen space is valuable, or
that they would want to hide their navigation if the navigation was
integrated into the UA's chrome. Nor am I convinced that if it was
integrated into the UA's chrome in a usable fashion, that it would take
less room than it would if styled by the author of the page.