[whatwg] [html5] bogus comment state

On Thu, 05 Jan 2006 17:00:13 +0600, Anne van Kesteren
<fora at annevankesteren.nl> wrote:

> I haven't had time to investigate it fully (like inspecting the real DOM
> in the
> three browsers I was testing on). It seems that Internet Explorer
> presevers the
> nodes in some way (when looking at the innerHTML). It shows like a
> processing
> instruction though, not a comment. Firefox simply drops all processing
> instructions (or bogus comments) and you can not retrieve them in any
> way.
> Opera stores them in some quirky way. When looking at the innerHTML of
> the page
> I get things like: |<? target="test" content=""/>?>| for a processing
> instruction which looked like: |<? test>|. We'll fix that sometime when
> it gets
> more important and when it is clear what we're supposed to do.

> (Personally I can appreciate the approach Firefox took although that
> leaves not
> much room for using them sometime in the future...)

Before changing the way how Opera handles it, some way of behavior should
be standardized.

To me, it seems reasonable to drop invalid constructs like <? test>.

-- Opera M2 9.0 TP1 on Debian Linux 2.6.12-1-k7
* Origin: X-Man's Station at SW-Soft, Inc. [ICQ: 115226275]
<alexey at feldgendler.ru>