[whatwg] oninput event

From: Christian Schmidt <whatwg.org@chsc.dk>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:18:33 +0100
Quote from the current working draft (10 January 2006)
<http://whatwg.org/specs/web-forms/current-work/#the-change>:
> UAs may delay firing the input event if the data entry is rapid.
> Authors must not rely on this event firing once for each key press,
> mouse input, or similar.
I'm not sure what the intention is here.

I assume "key press, mouse input, or similar" refers to whenever the
control's value attribute changes, i.e. not key presses on arrow keys etc.

UAs may delay firing the event, but are they allowed skip it?

If UAs are NOT allowed to skip events, what is the purpose of delaying
them? And what exactly does delaying mean (e.g. what is the value of the
control's value attribute when the event eventually occurs)?

If UAs ARE allowed to skip events, I think it is a reasonable
requirement that the last event per control in a series of inputs is not
skipped, so that e.g. oninput="output.value=value" will always make the
output control be in sync shortly after the last key press (but not
necessarily while the user is typing rapidly).

Christian