[whatwg] Update to the Adoption Agency Algorithm

On 3 Feb 2006 at 8:54, Gervase Markham wrote:

> > Errors caused by the result of duplicate IDs either in the markup or
> > indirectly as a result of badly nested elements can be fixed by a quick
> > visit to the validator (or other conformance tool) or by making use of
> > any or all of those tools I mentioned above.
>
> It's much harder to spot them when they are dynamically generated by
> e.g. a cloneNode operation. You can't submit your browser's DOM tree to
> the validator...

That's a limitation in the current UAs. There is nothing stopping UAs
from offering validation of generated, serialized source the way
Opera already let's you send the original source to the W3C
validator.

I'm not taking sides in the debate on what to do about possibly
duplicated IDs, I just note that we should not design the spec
according to current UA limitations unless that limitation exists for
a good reason.
--
Hallvord Reiar Michaelsen Steen
http://www.hallvord.com/