[whatwg] Ampersands not followed by ASCII letters or #

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2006 17:32:06 +0200
I noticed that the Web Apps spec itself contains script samples with
unescaped JavaScript && operators in <pre> blocks.

Considering that this is not an error in HTML 4.01 as SGML and
considering that it is harmless in browsers, I think the top-level
"Anything else" case under "8.2.3.1. Tokenising entities" should be
split in two so that there is also an error-free case for the ASCII
characters that aren't '#', aren't ASCII letters and that weren't in
error in SGML-based HTML. I don't have The Handbook at my disposal
right now, but the error-free case should cover at least '&', '<' and
space characters.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi