[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> On Dec 21, 2006, at 15:06, Mike Schinkel wrote:
>
>> Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>> Google, Yahoo and MSN aren't in the business of enforcing a
>>> standards- compliance agenda.
>>
>> Who is?
>
> I may be missing something obvious, but I can't think of
> anyone who'd by in the business of enforcing Web standards
> per se. Depending on country, disability interest groups
> (what's the right term?) or governments may in the "business"
> of enforcing accessibility, which is related.

It was a rhetorical question to make the point you just made.

> Presumably, they care about moving Web apps forward. That
> doesn't mean their business includes *enforcing* standards by
> putting violators on the stocks.

Agreed.  But it is something that could potentially see a lot of improvement
compared to status quo, and I can't think of nor have I heard any other
proposals for anything else that would. And certainly the current situation
is suboptimal.

> I think this mailing list is not the right place to speculate
> what search engines could or won't do. I suggest pitching the
> enforcement ideas to search engine providers directly.

My problem is I don't know anyone at those search engines to pitch to, and
unfortunately I don't currently have the funding to devote any more time to
it than to float a trial balloon. I did that here hoping someone at one of
the three would think it something to consider...  (But I'm happy to
terminate discussion on it here, but we all should do the same.)

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/