[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

On Dec 5, 2006, at 12:14 AM, Mike Schinkel wrote:

> ... [proposal for search engines to denote pages that don't validate
> as "HTML (WARNING)" or "XHTML (WARNING)"]
>
>>> I have huge doubts that this would pass even elementary
>>> usability testing, because most users would just say "I
>>> don't care".
>
> But that's the thing; usability wouldn't matter; let users ignore it.

Humans don't work that way. If the words "HTML (WARNING)" or "XHTML
(WARNING)" started appearing next to over 90 percent of search results,
people would not think that something was wrong with 90 percent of Web
pages. They would think that something was wrong with the search
engine. And they would be right.

--
Matthew Paul Thomas
http://mpt.net.nz/