[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 09:49:24 +0000
Alexey Feldgendler wrote:
> Interesting. But this lacks one important thing: a clear indication of
>  why some page doesn't qualify as accessible. Google seems reluctant to
>  disclose their criteria, and it's a pity.

Indeed, and, from the broad indications they do give, there's /nothing/
to suggest that they favour conformant markup over non-conformant
markup: "Currently we take into account several factors, including a
given page's simplicity, how much visual imagery it carries and whether
or not its primary purpose is immediately viable with keyboard
navigation."

http://labs.google.com/accessible/faq.html

At least they point people towards WCAG, which makes using conformant,
valid (X)HTML a priority two criterion.

I think basic conformance is part and parcel of creating an accessible,
interoperable site; but it's worth noting that there are plenty of
captains of accessibility who reject that viewpoint, e.g.:

http://www.anysurfer.be/

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis