[whatwg] finding a number...

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 15:52:16 +0200
On Dec 13, 2006, at 14:24, Michel Fortin wrote:

> At the very least, I think find-a-number should be limited to
> integer numbers. But even then it'll be limited to languages using
> our western digits and possibly not suitable for full
> internationalization.

Actually, with proper Unicode libraries it would be reasonable easy
to handle any base-10 integers.

Such a scheme could be extended to numbers with a fractional decimal
part if the decimal separator was given in an attribute explicitly
(defaulting to "."). Thousand separators could be dealt with by
skipping certain character classes.

It is reasonable to expect desktop and server software to have access
to the Unicode database (e.g. by bundling ICU if there's isn't a
proper platform API). However, JScript-based emulation layers on top
IE and mobile software may not have access to the Unicode database.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/