[whatwg] finding a number...

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 09:47:14 +0200
On Dec 13, 2006, at 08:32, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

>> How can this be dealt with without making the parsing dependent on
>> lang and requiring the UAs to implement all-encompassing CLDR-
>> aware number parsing?
>
> It can't. But why bother making a standard that so clearly fails to
> work in major world languages? Everything should be as simple as
> possible *and no simpler* - this is too simple. Maybe assuming you
> can parse numbers out of text is just a dumb idea as a normative
> part of a spec.

The attributes always work for any language. For English, the
textContent works as a *bonus*. It isn't that the spec fails to work
for non-English. It is just that a particular *redundant* bonus
feature doesn't work for non-English.

If giving redundant bonus features to English-language pages is
deemed politically too incorrect, I'd rather get rid of the
textContent stuff than introduce the huge can of worms language-
dependent number parsing.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi