[whatwg] microformats incompatible with WebApps 1.0 ?

On 11-Dec-06, at 8:02 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> Your use of the term "microformat" seems very loose. A microformat
> isn't
> just anything that uses keywords in HTML's extension attributes; a
> microformat is a format that has gone through the very rigorous
> process of
> research, design, and public study that Microformats.org documents.
> The
> entire concept of a vendor-specific microformat is an oxymoron, for
> instance.

    Isn't Microformat predicated on the fact that anyone can embed
additional information in HTML by simply placing it there in a
structured format that conforms to the standard?  If so, then
anything that uses keywords in HTML extension attributes simply to
convey additional information could be considered a microformat.  I
don't think it's necessary to go to microformats.org for this.  A
vendor-specific microformat is completely legitimate from my point of
view.  It's a way for a vendor to pass information from a site to a
user without interfering with the expected browsing experience.
Maybe you mean to distinguish "microformat" from "Microformat"?

    Really, what matters here is the concept, not the formality.

--
George Staikos
KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/