[whatwg] microformats incompatible with WebApps 1.0 ?

Le 12 d?c. 2006 ? 09:24, Ian Hickson a ?crit :

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Karl Dubost wrote:
>> Le 12 d?c. 2006 ? 07:19, Ian Hickson a ?crit :
>>>
>>> Me neither. Suggestions welcome.
>>
>> For example for hcard, you could do:
>>
>> <link rel="hcard" href="http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns"/>
>> <link rel="hcard" href="http://www.w3.org/2006/03/hcard"/>
>
> I don't really understand how that would solve the problem; could you
> elaborate?

ok. For microformats it is mandatory to have a profile URI in the
head, it helps specifically parsers. It has also the benefits that an
authoring tool can download automatically XMDP profile for creating
an help to edit microformats.

So a page containing microformats looks like that.

<head profile="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11">
       <title>Tantek's Thoughts</title>
charset=utf-8" />

Then in the page there are things like

<ul class="xoxo facets">
    <li><a href="http://technorati.com/profile/tantek"
rel="me">Technorati</a>?</li>
    ?
</ul>

rel="me" has a meaning because of the profile up there.

With the new proposal

<ul class="xoxo facets">
    <link rel="xfn" href="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11"/>
    <li><a href="http://technorati.com/profile/tantek"
rel="me">Technorati</a>?</li>
    ?
</ul>

* People can add this information even if they do not have access to
the template (head section). Most common use case form editing.
* People have it right under their eyes near the information they
want to describe (if they wish it).
* Parsers can still have the information to disambiguate when necessary.

>> I proposed to modify the link element as such:
>>
>> ==================================
>> 3.8.4. The link element
>>
>> Metadata element.
>>
>> Contexts in which this element may be used:
>>     Where strictly inline-level content is allowed.
>> ===================================
>>
>> Rationale:
>> So people can add it in a web form,  and then do in situ editing.
>> Metadata can
>> be near the content when needed.
>>
>> I would also propose the same for the meta element.
>
> Unfortunately in both cases we don't really have any choice; for back
> be moved
> to the <head> by the parser.

Then for back compatibility you will have to keep the profile attribute.
See
4. Using GRDDL with valid XHTML
    http://www.w3.org/TR/grddl/#grddl-xhtml

Parsers are not only browsers parsers.

Do you have an explanation for the why of
	"<link> and <meta> elements that
	aren't in the <head> must be moved
	to the <head> by the parser."

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/