[whatwg] Standard DOM Serialization? [was :Common Subset]

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 01:09:58 +0100, Sam Ruby <rubys at intertwingly.net>
wrote:
>>> If there is no interest in standardizing a serialization (or separate
>>> standard serializations form HTML5 and XHTML5), then this discussion
>>> belongs on implementorsr at whatwg.org mailing list.
>>  http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#innerhtml
>
> I assume that you are trying to tell me something, but I am too dumb to
> understand it.
>
> That section says "the innerHTML DOM attribute of all HTMLElement and
> HTMLDocument nodes returns A SERIALISATION of the node's children using
> the HTML syntax."   [emphasis added]
>
> A given DOM may have multiple, valid, HTML5 serializations.
>
> I am asking whether there is interest in identifying ONE standard
> serialization that everybody who wishes to comply with could do so.

I suggest you read the normative definitions instead of the non normative
explanation. It's quite detailed on what should happen.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>