[whatwg] XML databases, XML syntax and HTML5

From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Dec 2006 06:00:46 -0500
Robert Sayre wrote:

Says me. Says all the vendors who have put their capital into native XML
databases and not into native HTML databases.

One presumes a theoretical HTML database would support HTML. An XML
database supports that plus all the other uses of XML.

Most current projects I've seen or heard of are in large publishing
firms: i.e. the size of O'Reilly books are larger. 15 gigabytes of text
is small for these systems, though it's huge for most web sites. I
suspect it's just that this is where the money and the need lies for the
moment. The same was true of SQL in its early days. However, I expect
native XML databases to go down market fairly quickly over the next few
years.

?Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo at metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!