[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

From: Sander Tekelenburg <tekelenb@euronet.nl>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 03:19:23 +0100
At 01:22 +0000 UTC, on 2006-12-08, Ian Hickson wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
>> At 00:45 +0000 UTC, on 2006-12-05, Ian Hickson wrote:

[...]

>> I'm still somewhat sceptical about the reality of this though, as it relies
>> on the author checking the document with at least one HTML5-compliant
>> browser. This reliance would provide Microsoft an easy attack vector on
>> HTML5: give away free authoring tools (or even lure people into paying for
>> them) that produce code that triggers HTML5-compliant browsers to, as per
>>the
>> HTML5 spec, stop processing the document, and have InternetExplorer present
>> such documents as if they're fine.
>
> Your assumption seems to be that the interoperable handling of HTML
> documents is to somehow abort processing. This is not the case. Each error
> has explicitly defined error-recovery behaviour.

My mentioning of parsing abortion stems from
<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#parsing>, which says:

"The error handling for parse errors is well-defined: user agents must either
act as described below when encountering such problems, or must abort
processing at the first error that they encounter for which they do not wish
to apply the rules described below."

Maybe I'm misinterpreting it?

--
Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>