[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

From: Sander Tekelenburg <tekelenb@euronet.nl>
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 01:40:53 +0100
At 22:39 +0100 UTC, on 2006-12-07, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

[...]

> A "parse error" in HTML5 is not like a "parse error" (if there's such a
> thing) in XML. The parsing algorithm in HTML5 works with most HTML
> documents out there. In theory it can replace the parser in your
> day-to-day browser.

Yes, I understand that HTML5 tries to be as backwards-compatible as it can
be. But what about future documents? Are you saying that the HTML5 parsing
rules leave no room for a party to generate documents that will 'look wrong'
in a HTML5 browser and 'look right' in that same party's browser?

Because as long as that room exists, and as long as there is a free open
market, there will likely be parties that will try that. When they do, other
parties will feel forced to start applying non-HTML5-specced guesswork again.

Nothing against HTML5. I'm just trying to get a clear picture of just how
much of a difference HTML5 can actually mak; to what extend Ian's description
of what I labelled "guesswork" may actually become reality.

--
Sander Tekelenburg