[whatwg] References from the spec to wiki pages (was: Provding Better Tools)

From: Alexey Feldgendler <alexey@feldgendler.ru>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 12:38:51 +0600
On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 06:08:56 +0600, Karl Dubost <karl at w3.org> wrote:

>>> Actually, it's already doing that in another section.
>>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#other

>> I think it's inappropriate there as well. How can a spec refer to a
>> wiki page which can be edited by anyone and is, in general, out of
>> sync with the spec itself?
>
> just as a side note. A traditionnal Web page can be edited as often.

But not a spec. Once a spec is officially blessed, it doesn't change anymore (except for changes introduced through some official workflow).

> Specifications are built on social process and they got their value
> from and by this social process.
> It is perfectly fine to disagree with some principles of community
> building, but not with the nature of the document itself. :)

I deeply value the principles of community building, but not when it comes to specifications. I can hardly imagine an implementor monitoring a wiki page and keeping the implementation in sync.