[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Michel Fortin wrote:

> > The "one target" now is HTML5.
>
> I wonder about one thing though. If the recommended serialization is
> HTML5, why is there new features which are simply not supported by HTML5
> (list inside paragraphs, nested forms, etc.)? My impression is that
> while HTML is recommended in the prose, the new features are implicitly
> recommending XHTML.
>
> Recommending using the HTML format while making XHTML more powerful at
> the same time just strike me as incoherent. This makes it look like
> XHTML is the future and that HTML is a temporary and limited
> recommendation to keep backward compatibility. That's what I understand
> while reading the spec as a whole. If that's not what is intended, then
> maybe something should be done about that, like removing some of the
> incompatible features.

I believe this is only a problem with the <p> element; other
paragraph-level elements (like <li> and <footer>) don't have this problem.
I agree that it is unfortunate that the <p> element in the syntax is not
allowed to contain the same elements it can contain in the DOM. Maybe we
should indeed remove this, but that would be unfortunate.