[whatwg] References from the spec to wiki pages (was: Provding Better Tools)

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> > > A specification cannot refer to something as volatile as a wiki
> > > page.
> >
> > Actually, it's already doing that in another section.
> > http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#other
>
> I think it's inappropriate there as well. How can a spec refer to a wiki
> page which can be edited by anyone and is, in general, out of sync with
> the spec itself?

In this particular case, the entire point is that it can be edited by
anyone. The page in question is the extension registry. It is an
experiment in low-bar registration methods, as a contrast to IANA
procedures (as, e.g., used for rel="" in Atom).