[whatwg] References from the spec to wiki pages (was: Provding Better Tools)

On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 01:35 +0600, Alexey Feldgendler wrote:

> I think it's inappropriate there as well. How can a spec refer to a wiki
> page which can be edited by anyone and is, in general, out of sync with
> the spec itself?

It seems problematic to me too. In the case of microformats, I'd prefer
to see a registry offering efficient, machine readable output. Perhaps a
REST API to a database of types.

The markup of Wiki pages is not only inefficient for machine extraction
but tends to become more unsemantic with time. (Just look at the markup
horrors in Wikipedia and Wiktionary.)

I'd personally be happier, in this case, with a submission mechanism
acting as a intermediate layer between submitters and the official list
of types.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis