[whatwg] Graceful Degradation and Mime Types[was: trailing slash]

From: Mike Schinkel <mikeschinkel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 06:30:15 -0500
Karl Dubost wrote:
>> but there's a point that we might take into consideration:
>> People. People do not want spend time structuring information,
>> only a minority like me. If the only way to edit structured
>> document is hand coding then it will fail. Always.

But please don't use the idea of tools to justify complexity in markup. UI
can (almost?) never fully represent what a user wants to do and how it
works.  All really sucessful text formats have been easy to edit (why did
RSS take off while RDF is still struggling to get off the ground?)  And no
binary formats (save images) have been as sucessful as text formats (there
are more text files than Excel files...)

Tools can always help in limited contexts, but we should still allow for
coherent ability to hand edit text.  And I don't think this "truth" will
change in our lifetime.

-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/
http://www.welldesignedurls.org/