[whatwg] foreign attributes Re: several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

Le 5 d?c. 2006 ? 15:09, Ian Hickson a ?crit :
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Karl Dubost wrote:
>> Le 5 d?c. 2006 ? 05:34, Ian Hickson a ?crit :
>>>
>>> The other issue, supporting other vocabularies in HTML5, is an open
>>> issue, but it will be addressed in due course. We need more
>>> implementation experience first, and there are far more pressing
>>> problems.
>>
>> slightly related. What about foreign attributes. I haven't found
>> in the
>> document the handling rules for unknown attributes.
>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/
>
> Bogus attributes end up in the DOM but have no other requirements on
> processing, so, they are ignored. The spec covers this.

Could you give the pointer in the document?
Attribute name state
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#attribute1
So if they are just ignored, I guess that leaves full room for people
to extend the document with other attributes.

Thanks!

>> A group with a need of specific attribute might want to add new
>> attributes to Web Apps 1.0.
>> - What are the extensions mechanims for this?

I was talking about attributes, not class that I'm well aware of :)

> "class", "rel", and "profile" are the extension mechanism for HTML.
> For
> examples of how this is used to great effect, see the Microformats.org
> work, where entire vocabularies like vCard, iCalendar, etc, are
> embedded
> into HTML documents using "class" and "rel". (This has the added
> advantage
> of being a highly accessible extension mechanism, unlike most.)

Yes I perfectly know it. Microformats offer some solutions for simple
cases, but request heavy parsing sometimes and some other groups have
specific needs.

   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***