[whatwg] HTTP/filesystem World Re: several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Karl Dubost wrote:
> Le 5 d?c. 2006 ? 11:38, Ian Hickson a ?crit :
> > On Tue, 5 Dec 2006, Karl Dubost wrote:
> > >
> > > 2. When people edit files locally on their filesystem (outside HTTP
> > > world) and they put them online through FTP (outside HTTP world), to
> > > finally reach a folder controlled by a Web server (inside HTTP
> > > World), troubles are starting.
> >
> > There aren't really any troubles, though, since the problem has always
> > been with getting people to use MIME types other than text/html, and
> > here we're saying "use text/html".
>
> they are troubles when servers use another mime type than "text/html"

According to my data, there are virtually no such cases.

> User X is writing a file like the ol' time home page. Give a name to the
> file "boo.doc", "boo.txt", "boo.cool". User X uploads the file on the
> Web server. There are troubles.

Hypothetically, this could happen, yes. But it's a rare occurance
according to the data I have, and we have much bigger problems to deal
with.

> The question comes because it would be interesting to have a mechanism
> to help to fix the mimetype when necessary.

HTTP is being worked on; I recommend speaking with the HTTP group. Fixing
the HTTP specification is somewhat out of scope for HTML5; we're already
pushing the envelope with the whole "sniffing for RSS" thing.