[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

From: Michel Fortin <michel.fortin@michelf.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 20:07:50 -0500
Le 4 d?c. 2006 ? 17:19, Lachlan Hunt a ?crit :

> I agree, but how are xml:lang, xml:base and xml:id any more
> meaningless in HTML than xmlns?

In XHTML you can avoid using xml:base (by not specifying a base) and
xml:id (by using id). You can't avoid xmlns. That's why I think xmlns
comes before these two in order of importance.

It is also very difficult to avoid xml:lang which, just like "/>",
can be scattered all over the file. That's why I'm trying to see if
there is a possibility of a conformant solution. There's at least a
practical solution that will work, which is to use the lang attribute
alone, although this isn't conformant with XHTML.

> The only reason xmlns was allowed was to help ease migration from
> current XHTML 1.0 to HTML5.  Although that logic made sense for '/
> >' which you often find scattered throughout many different files,
> which makes it difficult to update, the xmlns attribute occurs in
> one place, and that's usually in the same file as the DOCTYPE (in
> cases where templates are used).

Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://www.michelf.com/