[whatwg] extensions (was: several messages about XML syntax and HTML5)

First, I must point out that WHATWG thought processes seems to regard
XML syntax as inseparable, for no real reason. In mind, a allowing a
trailing slash (for example) does not imply allowing CDATA and all the
rest.

> Currently, there wouldn't be one. We could extend HTML5 to have some sort
> of way of doing this, in the future. (It isn't clear to me that we'd want
> to allow inline SVG, though. It's an external embedded resource, not a
> semantically-rich part of the document, IMHO.)

I don't think "semantically-rich" is a useful thing to say about a
markup language, especially when discussing a deployed vocabulary.

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006, Robert Sayre wrote:
> >
> > I don't think we need to settle this issue in December 2006, but I do
> > think there is ample evidence of interoperable but undocumented behavior
> > that HTML5 implementors will need to consider.
>
> Could you elaborate on this?

One can include SVG in HTML4/5 documents today, using createElementNS,
and that capability also seems to influence XHTML5 behavior.

--

Robert Sayre