[whatwg] several messages about XML syntax and HTML5

From: James Graham <jg307@cam.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:43:05 +0000
Elliotte Harold wrote:

> That means I have to send text/html to browsers (because that's the only
> thing they understand) and let my clients ignore that hint.

No.

As I understand it, the full chain of events should look like this:

  [Internal data model in server]

        HTML 5 Serializer

             {Network}

           HTML 5 Parser

  [Whatever client tools you like]

The only technical issue is that your HTML5 parser has to produce a data format
that your other client tools like. If this involves the construction of an
XML-like tree that's fine. But you should _never_ try to use an XML parser to
produce the tree because it _will_ break with conforming HTML5 documents.