[whatwg] Allow trailing slash in always-empty HTML5 elements?

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2006 00:27:58 +1100
Elliotte Harold wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
>> If you want to use XHTML, then use XHTML, send it with an XML MIME
>> type, and be happy.
>
> What's wrong with option 1 is that it doesn't work in the browser with
> the majority of the installed base,

What you fail to realise is that by the time (X)HTML 5 is ready to be
used significantly, current information suggests that IE8 will have
added support for XHTML.

> something I used to think mattered to this group.

It does matter, but that's why the HTML5 serialisation is provided.  The
XHTML serialisation is not intended for IE7 and earlier.

> Consequently I and many others choose option 3:
>
> Use XHTML, send it with an HTML MIME type, and be happy.

No!

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/