[whatwg] markup as authored in practice

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 11:40:58 +0200
On Dec 2, 2006, at 09:19, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> The best idea so far for how to make it work is for parsers to
> automatically recognise the tag names and put them into the correct
> namespace.

I think putting subtrees rooted at <svg> or <math> in the SVG and
MathML namespaces respectively (and allowing /> to close elements
while the tokenizer is looking at such a subtree) would be more
forward-compatible with future SVG and MathML revisions. (Subtrees
rooted at children of SVG <foreignObject> and MathML <annotation-xml>
would be put in the XHTML namespace.)

As a further stipulation, xmlns with the right values would be
<annotation-xml> but would have no effect.

Any reason why that wouldn't work? Would it be evil?

(The above is about the text/html serialization.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/