[whatwg] 9.1.2.1: trailing slash and atheism

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 16:56:29 +0000 (UTC)
On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Elliotte Harold wrote:

> 9.1.2.1 states:
>
> Then, if the element is one of the void elements, then there may be a single
> U+002F SOLIDUS character. This character has no effect [...]
>
> The second sentence is false [...] I suggest rewriting as follows:
>
> This character has no effect when the document is parsed by an HTML5 parser.

That's redundant. Parsing a document using this syntax with anything other
than an HTML5 parser would be non-conforming.

> However, if the document when parsed by an XML parser, the trailing
> slash converts the tag into an empty-element tag, and thereby makes an
> otherwise malformed element well-formed.

This section has nothing to do with XML. If the document was parsed by an
XML parser, then there are much bigger problems afoot, such as MIME type
mislabelling, or a faulty UA.

Cheers,