[whatwg] lang vs. xml:lang; id vs. xml:id

On Fri, 1 Dec 2006, Michel Fortin wrote:

> While the requirement for authors is pretty clear (HTML: lang; XHTML:
> xml:lang), it seems to me that the user agent is asked to always favour
> xml:lang even in an HTML context. Is this really what's intended? I
> think this ought to be clarified.

It's intended, because the idea is to let UAs have just one
implementation. Note that "xml:lang" is a namespaced attribute, you can't
specify it in HTML without using scripting. (<html xml:lang=""> doesn't
create a node with a namespaced attribute.)

> > The id DOM attribute must reflect the id content attribute.
>
> Does that mean it should not reflect xml:id even when id is not defined?

Correct. The xml:id spec doesn't have a DOM binding. That is unrelated to
HTML5.