From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 19:35:22 +1000
Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>      del { display: none }
>>
>> you'll see a one-item list for my markup, while for your markup you'll
>> see a second, empty list item.
>
> That could be seen as a limitation of the styling language. It has been
> repeated many times on this list that styling should not be taken into
> account when "designing" markup.

But you do have to design the markup language in a way that satisfies
the use cases.  In this case, it clearly doesn't satisfy at least one of
them.

The edit attribute would meet this one, as you could use:

li[edit=deleted] { display: none; }

It's even somewhat backwards compatible with current browsers.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/