[whatwg] href on any element

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 17:35:02 +1000
Keryx webb wrote:
> Shut me up and give me a link if this has been discussed before, but I
> can't find it on Google. Has there been any discussion of allowing the
> href-attribute in (almost) any element, as in XHTML 2.0?
>
> Personally I think this is the one killer feature of XHTML 2 and I would
> soo much like it ASAP in all browsers.

What are the perceived benefits that make it such a "killer feature"?

> <abbr href="http://www.whatwg.org/" title="Web Hypertext Application
> Technology Working Group">WHATWG</abbr>
>
> makes perfect sense to me.

Theoretically, for XHTML, you could use XLink and write this (assuming
the appropriate namespace is declared)

<abbr xl:type="simple" xl:href="http://www.whatwg.org/"
title="Web Hypertext Application Technology Working Group">WHATWG</abbr>

But my tests with Firefox showed that, even though it supports simple
XLink links for generic XML, that doesn't work for XHTML elements.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/