[whatwg] [wf2] Filtering datalist with pattern

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 05:50:15 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006, Matthew Raymond wrote:

> Yeah, I suppose that would be fine, except for extremely rare cases
> where the value absolutely has to be outside the pattern. The following
> don't have fixed-length numeric values, for instance:
>
> | <datalist id="math">
> |   <option label="i" value="sqrt(-1)">
> |   <option label="&pi;" value="pi">
> |   <option label="e" value="e">
> | </datalist>
>
> I'm not entirely sure if they're a big enough deal to bother with.

You could deal with pi and e easily enough even then, just by rounding the
given value and then looking for that particular value as a magic number
in the submission handling and then treating them as pi/e. It's a hack,
but it works.

That doesn't handle i, but I have yet to see a form that asks me to select
a number and gives specific imaginary numbers as an option (as opposed
to accepting any complex number, at which point there's no problem again).