[whatwg] input type="country"?

Lachlan Hunt wrote:
> David H?s?ther wrote:
>> But what if you use a browser with an old list, and your contry isn't
>> listed. Or are you proposing that browsers download a list every time?
>
> Many modern browsers already periodically check for updates.  Such lists
> could be downloaded like any other update, as required.

But it seems like a rather onerous requirement to have in the spec for what
would be a very minor feature. Also, having an application that may display and
be expected to process different countries depending on the particular revision
of the particular browser being used seems like a poor idea from both a UI and
back-end point of view.

How useful would this type of control actually be? How often do people really
need to list every country in the world? The control would have no semantic
value beyond a <select> since many more-specific country lists ("all the
countries in Europe", "all the countries we sell to") would still be implemented
as <select>s.