[whatwg] [wf2] Leap seconds, dates in the past

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, mozer wrote:

> A lot of work as already been done by the W3C XSL WG on calendar (and
> even negative year in needed)
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#lang-cal-country

Wow, that section has more UA-dependent behaviour than the HTML4 spec
does. And it fails to actually define anything as far as I can tell. In
fact it seems less precise than even WF2 at this point. It doesn't even
mention leap seconds at all.

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> > > I don't think we need to support years before 1CE.
> > > Anybody doing real work with dates that far back is going to have very
> > > specific needs when it comes to calendars and WF2 isn't going to cut it
> > > for them.
>
> I disagree. There are a lot of use cases for simple forms dealing with
> dates before 0001-01-01 even if we just use the proleptic Gregorian
> calendar. The most obvious is a conversion widget between calendars -
> there is no need for machine-interpretable information to know that one
> date is julian and one gregorian to find the right dates for tracking
> key events leading to the October Revolution...

Um, ok. Maybe in Web Forms 3.