[whatwg] [wf2] Leap seconds, dates in the past

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 05:33:26 +0200, mozer <xmlizer at gmail.com> wrote:

> A lot of work as already been done by the W3C XSL WG on calendar (and
> even negative year in needed)
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/xslt20/#lang-cal-country

>>> What about prior dates?
>>
>> I don't think we need to support years before 1CE.
>> Anybody doing real work with dates that far back is going to have very
>> specific needs when it comes to calendars and WF2 isn't going to cut it
>> for them.

I disagree. There are a lot of use cases for simple forms dealing with
dates before 0001-01-01 even if we just use the proleptic Gregorian
calendar. The most obvious is a conversion widget between calendars -
there is no need for machine-interpretable information to know that one
date is julian and one gregorian to find the right dates for tracking key
events leading to the October Revolution...

I think it is a reasonable decision to simply use proleptic Gregorian as
the default date type, although I would like to see WF3 have some
mechanism to declare a variation from that, because there are use cases
where that is necessary for things that will happen in the next few
months...

If the goal of WF2 is to provide something simple for people to use, then
it ought to be a preferable option for people like history teachers with
basic web skills, or the support guy or smart kid at school who helps them
out.

   hablo espa?ol  -  je parle fran?ais  -  jeg l?rer norsk
chaals at opera.com          Try Opera 9 now! http://opera.com