[whatwg] [wf2] Late comments and questions on Web Forms 2.0

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:03:07 +0200
*Henri Sivonen*:
> 2.4.
> Does ISO 8601 define how its flavor of the Gregorian calendar rolls
> backwards all the way to, say, 1900 or 1 AD?

By default ISO 8601 uses the proleptic Gregorian calendar, i.e. there
are no null days somewhere---depending on country---between 1582 and
1926, and it uses a year 0000, like astronomers but unlike historians
do.
The standard says, however, that the notation can also be used with
different conventions like the common Julian-Gregorian mix, if the
communicating partners have a prior agreement on one. I don't recall
whether RFC 3339 says something on this point, the W3C Note <http://
www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime> is quiet on it, but XML Schema <http://
www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#dateTime> does not use a year 0000 *yet*,
but seems to use the Gregorian calendar prolepticly.

> 2.4.
> Is it conforming to have leading zeros in a year that fills four
> digit slots? E.g. 00002006-03-08T00:00:00Z

Any year number with not exactly four digits should only be allowed,
when preceded by a plus or minus sign.