[whatwg] Select conformance

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> Single select:
> Is it conforming for an option to be both selected and disabled? (I think it
> shouldn't be conforming.)

No, it is conforming. This is used a lot on the Web for giving labels to
Selects ("Select a country...").

WF3 will address this better, but in the meantime it's good enough.

> And analogously: Is is conforming for a radio button to be both checked and
> disabled if the whole set is not disabled? (This one is harder to check, but
> anyway...)

Yes, it is. It happens sometimes, e.g. when the user has selected an
option but later changes something and that option becomes disabled (but
is still selected).

> Is it conforming to have no option that is marked selected? (I think
> allowing this is safe.)

Yes. For size=1 controls, the first non-disabled element gets selected.

> Select multiple:
> Is it conforming for an option to be both selected and disabled? How do native
> widgets handle this?

Yes. Generally the item just starts selected but then when you pick
another option you can't select it again, I presume.