[whatwg] Unsafe SGML minimizations

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005, Henri Sivonen wrote:

> I think the text/html flavor of HTML5 should not allow the following SGML
> minimization features (which are theoretically allowed in HTML 4), because
> each of them causes problems in at least one of Opera, Firefox and Safari.
>
>  * <>
>  * </>

Agreed. Those should generate comment nodes, I think.

>  * tagc omission ie. <foo<bar>...</bar</foo>

Well we have to define what that does, and the most obvious error handling
behaviour here is to start the new tag. So effectively, I would say we
shoul have TAGC omission.

>  * <foo/bar/

Agreed, sadly. That would be equivalent to something like <foo /bar/="">
(or something similar).

>  * attribute name omission (except for the well-known "boolean attributes")

Again, we have to define error handling. <foo bar baz> will probably just
be equivalent to <foo bar="" baz="">.