[whatwg] [WA1] The a element could be empty

From: Jim Ley <jim.ley@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 08:14:41 +0100
On 9/4/05, S. Mike Dierken <mdierken at hotmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, but it still shouldn't be empty, how can you link to part of a page
> that's nothing?
>
> You mean 'why' rather than how?

No, I do indeed mean how?  What does it mean to link to an element in
a visual UA  which has no visual representation, or in an aural UA
that has no Aural representation.  I gave an example which existing
browsers are unable to cope with - an empty positioned A element.
What algorithm would you recommend using for the usual UA in that
situation?

Jim.