[whatwg] Pattern Hint

Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005, Matthew Raymond wrote:
>
>>Ian Hickson wrote:

>>>I don't understand why you think it is the only thing that can be used
>>>for pattern hints (on any browser, legacy or otherwise).
>>
>>Take your demo for example. Suppose you want both pattern hints and
>>tooltips in the legacy code. In that case, you'd want the code to
>>degrade to something like this for an HTML 4.01 user agent:
>>
>>| <input id="t1" name="t1" title="Enter the first date here.">
>>| format: DD/MM/YYYY HH:MM
>
> That's a date field. pattern="" doesn't apply to those.

   First of all, it's a pattern hint, no the |pattern| attribute. I only
brought up the |pattern| attribute for cases where the user agent
supports the |pattern| attribute, but not the |type| value of
"datetime". For those user agents, you might want to force them to us a
specific pattern when submitting dates and times to the server.

   The part you quoted, though, only has to do with pattern hints in
fallback, not the pattern attribute.

> For other fields, I don't see the problem. Just put the format in the
> tooltip as well.

   We've already discussed why you can't put pattern hints in tooltips.
The tooltip goes away as soon as you start typing, at least in Windows.
This makes tooltips useless for pattern hints.

>>[<altinput>]
>
> I think we've already discussed this to death. :-)

   No we haven't. You never even replied to the message I posted about
<altinput>. You're thing about <dataentry>, and considering I created
<altinput> specifically to address concerns you had with <dataentry>, I
find your comment a bit insulting.