[whatwg] Character/Entity Reference Syntax Support

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 11:32:11 +1000
Hi,
   I wrote a test page [1] to test the support for the syntax of hex and
numeric character refernces and entity references using all character
references defined in HTML4.  It tests each with and without the REFC
delimiter (;).

It seems that IE doesn't support omitting the REFC for any hex character
reference and only supports omitting it for ISO-8859-1 entities plus
&amp, &lt, &gt and &quot from the markup significant category.  IE
doesn't support &apos either, but it's not defined in HTML4 anyway.

Firefox and Opera support all of them just fine with or without the REFC.

I suspect these results may have some impact on the way you write the
HTML parsing rules for character references

[1] http://lachy.id.au/dev/markup/tests/html401/charref/syntax

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/